CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Saturday, November 5, 2011

My favorite white cake recipe

** Disclaimer** I'm only a mom that try's my best to make cute & homemade birthday cakes! I'm not a pro :) So don't expect Cake Boss or Food Network Challenge quality cake decorating here! LOL! Seriously though I know there are amazing cake decorators out there & I'm not trying to keep up with them!

Years ago when our first child was baptized I wanted to make a cake for the after church brunch at our house. I finally came across an excellent website/blog with great cake baking tips & recipes. In the years since I have used this recipe many times as a base for cakes & cupcakes. The best part is that it is a "doctored" cake recipe - so you can use a box cake recipe & then add extra ingredients to it. Here are some fun ways that I've used this recipe from Peggy Weaver's Baking Corner

***************************************************************************************
White Chocolate Cake from Peggy Weaver's Baking Corner


6 ounces white chocolate, coarsely chopped
1 box plain white cake mix (Duncan Hines)
2/3 cup water
1/2 cup vegetable oil
3 extra-large eggs
1 teaspoon pure Vanilla Extract

Preheat oven to 325 Degrees. Place rack in center of the oven. Generously grease two 9-inch cake pans with solid vegetable shortening then dust with flour; shake out the excess flour. Set aside pans.

Melt white chocolate in a small saucepan over low heat, stirring constantly, 3 to 4 minutes. Remove from heat and let cool slightly.

In a large bowl, place the cake mix, water, vegetable oil, and eggs. Pour in the slightly cooled white chocolate. Blend with a mixer, on low, for 1 minute; stop the machine and scrape down the sides of the bowl with a rubber spatula. Increase mixer speed to medium and mix for 2 minutes; scrape down more if needed. The batter should look well blended.

Divide the batter evenly between the prepared cake pans, smoothing it out with a rubber spatula. Place the pans on a cookie sheet, side by side in the oven.

Bake the cakes until they are golden brown and spring back slightly when lightly pressed with your finger, about 38 minutes. Remove the pans from the oven and place them on wire racks to cool for 10 minutes. After 10 minutes, run a dinner knife around the edge of each layer and invert each onto a rack, then invert again on another rack so that the cakes are right side up. Allow to cool completely, at least 30 minutes or more.


***************************************************************************************
Here are a few different ways that I have used this recipe

Baptism Cake


For this cake I also tried a Marshmallow Fondant recipe, Buttercream Frosting recipe, and Cake Boss's Seedless Raspberry Filling recipe. It was lots of work, but then I only had 1 baby. :) ** Also I think the fondant is lots of work, hard to do & everyone picks it off, so I haven't tried it again, though this recipe was tasty as far as fondant goes.


The next time I made cupcakes for Dominic's second birthday party. I did a variation of a rainbow cake. I used Wilton's food coloring and divided the cake batter into different bowls. Then spooned 3 colors randomly into the muffin tins.



It was part of Vincent's 1st birthday cake - a giant elephant! My wonderful sister in law helped me make this cute cake - we stayed up pretty late, but had fun! There was also a chocolate sheet cake and carrot cake in there too.

When Dominic turned 3 he wanted a Spider man cake- so I did this one and used Wilton's food coloring again to make it blue & red.




 Then again last year for Vincent's 2nd Birthday - only because his party was inside he got plain white frosting & cake. :) I also made the toppers with some help from scrapbook paper, my scanner, photoshop, a cricut & hot glue gun! Maybe sometime soon I'll show how to make your own? :)


See how versatile this recipe is? Its my go to recipe & the one I find myself sharing the most, so thank you Peggy Weaver!

1 comment:

  1. I love all the colors of the Spiderman cake and the rainbow cupcakes! They make my eyes salivate. :)

    ReplyDelete