CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Thursday, November 1, 2012

How I salvaged my floor register vent covers... for $7

Do your register covers look like this? Or worse (some of ours did)...
This is how I took care of the problem for $7!
 
We have lived in our house for about 2.5 years now. During that entire time the register covers for the floor vents have always bothered me. In the master bedroom they were pink (yes pink!) even though the carpet had been replaced with a neutral tan, next to doors they had scratches & rust, and the kitchen ones were even nasty brass (but rusty in spots)... 
Needless to say I've always wanted to replace them... but well every time I'd go to Home Depot & start loading up my shopping cart with new ones (even the boring tan metal ones) the cost would add up so fast. For our main floor alone I need 11! And when I wanted the ones that were atleast $15, well now you know why 2.5 years later I still had gross/blah looking register covers. ;)

 Then other day on pinterest I saw a pin that described how the person used spray paint to clean theirs up. And I thought to myself, "WOW! What a great idea, I need to do that." Then today while at Home Depot I found some Rust-Oleum Universal Hammered spray paint, that is the Dark Bronze color with a Hammered effect. OMG! I love this stuff! It was on sale for $6.97 and I only bought 1 can, but now I need more because I was only able to get 7 covers done and I still need to finish the other 5. 

All I did was pull mine out, was them off (then vacuum out the vents -eeewww it was gross... just one of those tasks I never really think to tackle), layed them out on newspaper & started spraying. It dried fairly quickly between coats and I love the texture that the Rust-Oleum "Hammered" gives.
Now for some before & after pictures


 
The  Dark Bronze cover is finished and the other 2 are prior to being painted. 
See the little bit of texture? I like it!
 
Upclose a finished cover vs the rust, chipped finish cover. Ick! Wasn't that gross?






Sooo much better! Thank you Rust-Oleum!!

And I realize that it's going to cost me another $7 to do the rest of the register covers on the first floor, but hey $14 total to get all 11 done is a heck of a lot better than the $170 I was looking at to replace them all!

I've been having LOTS of fun around here with chalk paint & spray paint, so keep an eye out for a few more posts soon! Tomorrow I'll be ready to post about my "new" thrift store lamp project and consignment store sewing table!



No comments:

Post a Comment