CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Friday, November 2, 2012

This Little Light of Mine... a thrift store lamp redo

Earlier this week I went to a local thrift store to look for something to use for my own last minute halloween costume, on the way in the door I saw this lamp. It was still on the porch, hadn't even been brought in to be checked over or priced. I've been wanting to try spray painting a lamp, so when I found out that it worked & was only $5, I bought it.


I had to wipe off all of the dust and then took off the shade & harp (I wouldn't be re-purposing these... at least not for this lamp). I used some masking tape to cover up the top where I didn't want it painted. 


 Then I was able to tuck the whole cord up into lamp to prevent it from being painted on (otherwise I'd have put it in a plastic bag & used tape to keep it from being painted  too).
This was when I noticed for the first time that there is an extra socket to make the base of the lamp light up too... however I'm pretty sure that this additional light would make the marks from being spray painted more visible so I'm not going to try it ... or hunt down an extra night light bulb to try it, well at least for now). ;) 

 

I feel like the lamp had some pretty details on it. 

 Then it was time to paint. This was after 1 coat of paint. I ended up using the whole can. :)




Here it is in our living room on the sofa table behind the couch.  I found a cute lampshade at Wal-Mart for $12 (this was perfect - ended up being cheaper than buying a new plain on and recovering with fabric).


 The paint didn't completely cover the brass on the top & bottom of the lamp, but that's ok. I probably would've bought some sort of antiquing glaze to give it that look on the metal parts anyway. :)




I'm super happy with the results. And can't wait to do my next one... I just need to decide on the color. 

No comments:

Post a Comment